Saturday, December 29, 2018

Aesthetic Realism Explains: “The Mistakes Daughters Make about Fathers; or, What Do We Really Want from Dad?”

Among the many ways my life was fortunate to change through my study of the philosophy Aesthetic Realism, is changing the way I saw my father, Dominick Amello.  I thought I would never be able to feel that we could be true friends.  I was so blinded by anger at him that I could not see who he was as a person--a person having both good and bad qualities.  I also did not see that he was an individual self who was in relation to the whole world, not just me.

Beginning in Aesthetic Realism consultations and later in classes with Eli Siegel, the founder of Aesthetic Realism, I was able to change from using my father, and my criticisms of him, to despise the world, to learning to use him of behalf of knowing and liking the world.  I began to see who he was truly, including where he could be respected.  He was very grateful for our new relationship and began to have consultations for himself.  He got a new lease on life himself.  I am very proud of the paper published here that was presented at a public seminar several years ago at the not-for-profit Aesthetic Realism Foundation in New York City.  It also means so much to me that, in giving Aesthetic Realism Consultations, I can use what I learned to have the lives of contemporary women happier, more just to their own fathers!  Here is the article: https://bit.ly/2Tg9EyI