Friday, November 30, 2018

The Aesthetic Realism Teaching Method Shows Science is For Liking the World!

I had a wonderful time teaching science to high school students in New York City using the Aesthetic Realism Teaching Method!  It was even more meaningful to me because this is not the subject I originally trained to teach when I was attending college.  I began my career as a health and physical education teacher.  It was because of my study of Aesthetic Realism that I branched out into a field that I was essentially "disinterested" in and, in turn, had a hard time learning myself while in high school.  I loved sports, but I almost passed up a career in physical education because of the extensive science courses that were required.  I took the leap and I got my teaching license.  After three years of being a classroom teacher, I was burnt out.  I no longer felt the thrill of sports because I was teaching the mechanics, (which seemed dull to me when broken down into individual skills), and I thought I might leave the classroom and go into public health work.

Three years after I started teaching, I began to have Aesthetic Realism consultations.  Through what I learned, my way of seeing the world, people, and the subjects I was teaching changed!  I began to see the world with new wonder and respect.  I learned what Eli Siegel explained:  that "the purpose of all education is to like the world through knowing it," and my teaching changed radically for the better.  I learned that reality, including every subject, has a sensible structure making for beauty--it is a oneness of opposites--the same opposites we want to put together in our lives.  After 20 years of teaching Health and PE successfully using the Aesthetic Realism method, I had the opportunity to teach science out of license for a few years.  I loved it!  I then decided to take a sabbatical and get re-certified to teach science full time.  I am immensely grateful that my Aesthetic Realism education enabled me to do so.  I found evidence day after day through the subjects I taught that THIS world could be liked, with all the difficulty, uncertainty and yes, injustice that exists. It was an honor to teach my students and try to present the world truly to them--to give them hope about the world and the true value of their minds and lives.  Here is an article describing one of the many lessons I gave: https://bit.ly/2yp5OKB