Monday, November 20, 2006

Aesthetics, The Human Heart and Ourselves!

I loved giving lessons on the structure of the human heart to my students at Fiorello H. LaGuardia HS in New York City using the Aesthetic Realism Teaching Method.  As I studied the way the heart is made and saw how it put together opposites mightily--strength and gentleness, assertion and yielding, separation and junction--I came to see it also as having great beauty.  I have never tired of showing this beauty at art and science conferences throughout the years.  This principle by Eli Siegel provides a solid framework through which teachers can see meaning and beauty in the facts of any subject: "The world, art, and self explain each other: each is the aesthetic oneness of opposites."  Teachers at conferences have been thrilled, not only with a new way of seeing the heart--its structure and function--but how through the opposites, the day to day human questions that they and their students have are gracefully related in the lesson.

I am proud that a paper I gave at a public seminar on the human heart was published in an issue of  The Right of Aesthetic Realism to Be Known, the international periodical by the Aesthetic Realism Foundation.